The Chaplains and the Spiritual Care staff at Michigan Medicine are dedicated to serving the needs of our patients, their families and caregivers, and our staff.
These unprecedented times require us to be flexible and creative in delivering care. As a result we have brought together a collection of multi-faith resources that we hope will be helpful to you.
Curious about Spiritual Care in a hospital setting? Click here to read more about what Chaplains do and how we can help from our Associate Director of the Department of Spiritual Care, Rev. Christina Wright.
I am not alone read by Chaplain Imam Kamau Ayubbi
Worship Music performed by one of the C.S. Mott certified Music Therapists
Patient Trust read by Chaplain Brigette Kemink
What is a Chaplain?
- people from various faith traditions who have training and education in their faith tradition and serve in hospitals, long-term care facilities, universities and other non-traditional settings
- a person who serves people of all faith traditions or none
- a religious leader who can provide specific religious sacraments and engage in practices or rituals that are unique to a faith tradition
- a minister to the spiritual nature inside each person they meet
Signs someone might need a Chaplain
- “Is this some kind of punishment?”
- “Why is this happening to me?”
- “What did I do to cause this?”
- “I don’t deserve this, I am a good person.”
- “God isn’t listening.”
- “God seems far away.”
- “Is God angry with me?”
- “How could God let this happen?”
Why might I need a Chaplain?
- if you are struggling with the meaning of your illness
- if you have concerns with spiritual issues outside of the illness
- if you are wrestling with difficult treatment choices
- if you would like to request a religious ritual specific to your tradition
- if you desire to express anxiety or fear or to confide in a “safe” person
- if you have received good news
- if you have received bad news
- if you are far from home and would like support
- if you are anticipating surgery
- if you would like someone to pray with you or bless you
- if you are grieving a loss
- if you would like someone to contact specific individuals who are essential to your healing